Ethitrade International Pty Ltd
Type of EntityStart-up
Theme of storyEmbracing the digital economyEnabling innovationEngaging globallyEngaging with STEMFacilitating industry transitionImproving business capability
- : Partnering with DFAT and The Asia Foundation, Ethitrade developed and deployed a blockchain based food provenance platform to track Vietnamese dragon fruit through the supply chain, from farm to plate.
- : Micro, small & medium enterprises (MSMEs) are a critical component of the economic fabric in developing economies. Collectively these businesses represent the single largest factor determining the future growth and prosperity of the world’s emerging economies. This sector currently suffers from restricted access to business resources, market information, sales opportunities and financial services. And, notably, from a stark under-participation by women owners. The Ethitrade platform is designed to digitally uplift millions of emerging economy micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) by focusing on:
- Identity & Trading History: bring reputation and trust to MSMEs
- Provenance & Assurance: tracing goods through the supply chain for greater transparency
- Business & Market Insight: business benchmarking and great insight into market performance
The ChallengeConsumers are increasingly demanding more information and seeking assurances that the food they consume is safe and ethically produced. Many emerging economy micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) struggle to provide this level of information in a provably authentic way.
The SolutionPartnering with The Asia Foundation and DFAT, Ethitrade have developed a blockchain-based food provenance platform. This platform is now being piloted with dragon fruit supply chain participants in Vietnam. Farmers, traders and exporters are using a simple mobile interface to enter transactions and upload certifications with data then recorded on the blockchain. Consumers in Australia will be able to scan a QR code to view the journey of that piece of fruit through the supply chain. By digitally tracking produce from farm to plate, the Ethitrade platform provides consumers full access to relevant information and allows supply chain participants greater insight into their business performance Through such projects, Ethitrade is working to digitally uplift emerging economy MSMEs with a focus on identity, provenance and access to markets.